Monday, December 8, 2014

Gala Concert Lighting

December 6th, 2014:

I volunteered to be lighting technician for the Gale Concert because I already have previously gained experience this role during the Living with Lady Macbeth production back in November. Since I was already involved in lighting for a previous event, I felt comfortable filling in this role for the concert. However, lighting designing a concert was much more different from lighting a theatre production since a production only involved cued slow lighting transitions. A concert had more varied lighting sets as one musical act could only require a single lighting arrangement for the entire performance while another could require multiple moving and flashing lights. Here's a picture of me at the lighting desk:
 I felt that this was quite a unique and exciting experience, which was why I volunteered to try it a second time after lighting the school production. Here is a picture of one of the lighting sets that I arranged:

The main reason I found lighting designing enjoyable was because of the control I had to set the tone or mood of a scene/musical act. I was able to do this through the colours I choose to 'wash' the stage with or which transitions I would use. I've even noticed my growth in stage lighting experience from basic lighting transitions to setting more advanced transitions, using more types of lights and colours. These challenges I had to overcome in strengthening my lighting skills were a part of what made it such an enjoyable and memorable experience.   

No comments:

Post a Comment